No, not quite THAT Windows update, although the result was just as frustrating! You see, our building has a lot of windows. And when I say a lot, well, I really do mean a LOT. But because we’re overlooked by other buildings and a public footpath we wanted some form of privacy that still let in light, but which was safe for children (no dangly blinds or cords, etc). So I had the brainwave of frosted-effect vinyl (actually, I had the brainwave of listening to a friend who had a brainwave)…
So far, so good. The vinyl arrived and I eagerly set about preparing the first window. After three attempts I finally managed to get a sheet onto a smaller window without many bubbles. I then moved onto one of the (many) larger windows and let’s just say there was so much swearing I could have offended Frankie Boyle – it’s quite fortuitous that there is so much insulation in the building!
After realising I’d spent nearly 6 hours doing just 4 windows (with one of those probably requiring another attempt), I decided that I’d finally found another thing in life I’m no good at. To be fair, the only things I’ve had to put into that category so far are plastering and surfing, although I’m sure Anna might add a few others! Then another brainwave…frosting paint. I got hold of a can and, compared to the vinyl, it was so simple to apply that I swear I could see angels through the newly frosted glass. So the moral of the story is this: Don’t assume the simple things are going to be simple…
As a sign off, I’d just like to mention that we lifted some of the carpets (and when I say carpets, I really mean two carpets, underlay, levelling boards, glue and 1000s of staples…but that’s another blog all on its own) and we were pleasantly surprised to see original floorboards that don’t look too shabby, so we may just be able to have some proper, original floors in the play centre too, if they can be brought up to a condition safe for tiny socked feet of course*
Until next time
*aware of the moral of the first story!